Warcross—Marie Lu

"I thought that was just some science fiction myth." 
"Everything's science fiction until someone makes it science fact," Hideo says. (92)
All of my book podcasts were raving about this book, so I broke my rule about not buying any new books before France unless I'd pre-ordered them. I'm so glad that I did, because this book was riveting, and now I have to read everything by Marie Lu. (This was my first of her books.)

Emika Chen is an 18-year-old, rainbow-haired hacker living in a dystopian future version of New York. In this future, millions log in each day to the game Warcross. For many, it's an escape from the struggle of their real lives, and it's not much different for Emika, who is in danger of being evicted. Since her father died several years ago, she's been on her own, working as a bounty hunter when she can, but her funds are dangerously low. Then the international Warcross championships have their opening game, and Emi accidentally hacks herself INTO the game. Immediately, she's contacted by the company who created the game, and the wunderkind billionaire head of the company, Hideo Tanaka. Emi thinks this is the end of the line, and that she's surely going to be arrested, but instead, Hideo flies Emi to Tokyo and engages her in a secret mission to help him with a security problem.

I would call Warcross a mix of Ready Player One (without all of the pop culture in-references) and Hunger Games (without all the murdering)This is the first book in an expected duology, with the second book, currently untitled, expected out in late 2018. I own that I made a mistake in reading this one right away, because now I have to wait until next year sometime for the next one. I feel confident saying it was worth it. (Also, how gorgeous is that cover art?)

I devoured this book. I don't think I've been as intrigued and enthralled by a book in quite a while.

I loved Emika. She's the kind of capable, intelligent, flawed character that I am looking for in books. And the rainbow hair is fantastic. Marie Lu, before she was an author full time, worked in the tech industry, so much of the book and of Emi's experiences feel authentic because Lu is pulling from her own personal experiences in that arena. The romance story between Emi and Hideo didn't feel forced, and the conflicts were not contrived, which is always my biggest complaint with romantic plot points, especially those that are imposed over another story. It was such a breath of fresh air to see a story written by an author of color that with an incredibly diverse cast of characters in a way that is as matter-of-fact as the diversity of real life. And it was refreshing to have a story that is set in an Asian country without it being fetishized or merely a prop.

Emi's Warcross team was also top notch. Although the story is really about Emi, the team aspect added a great twist, as Emi has spent so much time relying on herself and now must learn to trust other people. The plotting was done in a greatly effective way, giving us just enough of the Warcross games to see how the team worked together, without detailing EVERY game to get them to the big finish. The infusions of the conflict with Zero, the hacker that Emi has been put into the games to attempt to find, were perfectly placed, especially with the revelation of who Zero is at the end. There was just enough anticipation in the relationship between Emi and Hideo to keep me wondering what was going to happen next, while also being decidedly un-slut shame-y. One of the members of her Warcross team had a relationship with a member of a rival team, and it's not made into a big deal that they both happen to be men. The leader of Emi's team is in a wheelchair (though not in the game) and it's never once seen as an impediment or detriment to his being able to lead the team. It's almost as if they're representations of real people, and not caricatures or tokens. Hmm. Imagine.

There was a twist that I totally called, and then there was a twist that, even though it was mentioned to me that it might be a twist later, I completely denied the possibility of, I was so drawn in to the characters.

And while it is a duology, the ending left me with questions but not with a cliffhanger, which is the best that I could ask from a series.

All in all, I HIGHLY recommend Warcross. Now, excuse me, I have to go obsessively read the rest of Marie Lu's books.

Comments

Popular Posts