Goodbye 2017, Hello 2018!: A Year in Reviews and Goals for the Future

Well, 2017 has come to a close. It was a good reading year for me, but I'm hoping that 2018 will be even better. Here are some numbers from 2017:

  • I read 117 books.
  • I lemmed 8 books.
  • Those 117 books I finished totaled 38,508 pages.
  • I read twice as many books written by women as I did by men! 64% of the books I read were written by women, and 32% were written by men. I'm pretty stoked about that ratio, because I wasn't really being intentional about that.
  • 4% were written by male/female writing teams.
  • 30% of the books I read were written by authors of color. I was being intentional about trying to read more books by non-white authors, and I think I absolutely achieved that goal.
  • Though it's INCREDIBLY hard to choose, these were some of my favourites this year: The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas, Long Way Down by Jason Reynolds, Truly Devious by Maureen Johnson (which technically isn't released for two more weeks...), An Extraordinary Union by Alyssa Cole, Turtles All the Way Down by John Green, The Stone Sky by N.K. Jemisin, Warcross by Marie Lu, and What Happened by HRC.

First and foremost, I'm going to participate in the BookRiot 2018 Read Harder Challenge, so I'll be posting about that throughout the year.

Second, I've set an official goal on Goodreads to read 115 books. I'm hoping it'll be more than that, but I'm trying to be a bit conservative.

Third, I've made my DNF shelf on Goodreads exclusive so it will no longer count those towards my "Read" total. I thought about this halfway through this year, but didn't want to mess everything up so I decided to wait until the beginning of the new year.

Fourth, some percentages I'm looking to achieve:

  • I'd like to up my author of color percentage to at least 35%.
  • I'd also like to read at least five books in translation, and of those five, I want at least three of them to have been translated by women.
  • I want to read at least ten essay collections.
  • I'd like to read at least ten books by LGBTQ+ authors who have self-identified as such.
Fifth, on a personal library note, I've resolved to buy no more than 10 books until I find more shelving options for the books I currently have, because the situation is becoming untenable.

What are your bookish goals for 2018?

Comments

Popular Posts