Scholastic Warehouse Sale Haul!

Does this look familiar?


If you are as nostalgic about the good old days of the Scholastic Book Fair, I'm about to blow your mind. Did you know that Scholastic warehouses have semi-annual sales, with huge discounts on books? We have a local warehouse in Auburn, and I first became aware of the warehouse sale about 10 years ago. Since then, whenever possible, I go to the warehouse sales and gather some books, sometimes for local schools, but most often for myself. You can even sign up to volunteer, and for every hour that you volunteer, you get a certain FURTHER savings on the already-discounted books. Find out more about warehouse sales and see if there's one near you here.

Here's a little video scan of my local warehouse. It's overwhelming in the best way possible.

This year, they did the first ever BOGO sale. Honestly, I think it's not as good a deal as the previous 50% off most items, so if they continue with the BOGO sale, I might be going less often. But since I'm in the midst of a period of stress/comfort/sadness binge-buying, it was right up my alley. Plus, I was able to pick up a good group of books.

Here are the books that I was able to pick up this time:

Children's Books

It Takes a Village by Hillary Rodham Clinton and She Persisted by Chelsea Clinton - I've had both of these on my list for a while, and have almost bought them several times, but I got them discounted now so I'm glad I waited!

Dear Girl, by Amy Krouse Rosenthal and Paris Rosenthal - First of all, that comma at the end of the title is actually part of it, which I kind of love. I actually knew nothing about this book, but saw it was by Amy Krouse Rosenthal who I first became aware of when she was dying and wrote an essay to the woman who would love her husband after she died. ("You May Want to Marry My Husband.") Which is devastating, but it was beautiful. I'm pretty sure this book is going to make me cry.

The Library Book by Tom Chapin - Again, know nothing about this one except for it features a young girl of color on the cover (hooray!) and is about libraries and books. I love all of the above. I bought two copies so if I loved it and wanted to gift it sometime in the future, I'd already have a spare.

This Little Trailblazer: A Girl Power Primer by Joan Holub - I like this one a lot and often send it to friends as a baby gift. I bought ten copies, ready to be gifted.

If I Had a Gryphon by Vikki VanSickle - Another one I didn't know anything about, but the cover drew me in. Bought two.

STICKERS! I got some sets of Finding Nemo 2 stickers and some puffy animal stickers. Because who doesn't love stickers?!


YA Books, Graphic Novels, and Miscellaneous

So children's books, YA books, and graphic novels are kind of the only types of books that I buy. Okay, that's not really true. They tend to not have a lot of grown up book options at the warehouse, and most of the ones they DO have are cookbooks, which I will never use.

I was excited to find several books that I've been hearing about and wanted to buy there, including Miles Morales: Spider-Man by Jason Reynolds; Aru Shah and the End of Time by Roshani Chokshi, which has been blowing up on book Twitter; Solo by Kwame Alexander; and Carve the Mark by Veronica Roth, author of the Divergent series.

I was also glad to grab a hardcover copy of Winter since I have most of the rest of the Lunar Chronicles in hardcover. (Acquired from previous warehouse sales, naturally.)

The others are equally as exciting: Volume 1 of the Bob's Burgers comic; Nimona, a graphic novel by Noelle Stevenson, who works on Lumberjanes which is one of my favourite comic series; Labyrinth Lost by Zoraida Córdova, the first in a new series called Brooklyn Brujas); and two Disney-ish books, one is a "Twisted Tale," A Whole New World (an Aladdin book) by Liz Braswell and the other is a villain book Poor Unfortunate Soul: A Tale of the Sea Witch (obvs about Ursula).

Plus a cool water bottle and a diamond-topped pen!

Comments

Popular Posts