Succubus Blues—Richelle Mead

I shook my head, still amazed at how he had managed to weasel his way over here. "This isn't a date."
He cut me a scandalized look. "Obviously. I'd bring Count Chocula for that."
"I'm serious. Not a date, "I maintained. (137)
Part of Vaginal Fantasy Rewind

Seattleite Georgina Kincaid has a pretty normal life: she works in a bookstore, she hangs out with friends, she drinks copiously. Oh, and she's a millennium-old succubus. Things in Georgina's life get thrown out of whack when her favourite author moves to town and a mysterious, handsome man unwittingly saves her from a tense social situation. Not to mention that other supernatural people keep dropping dead, and they all happen to be people who Georgina had beef with, leaving her in a delicate state with the powers-that-be.

Most importantly for this, I loved the Seattle placement. I believe I saw that Richelle Mead lives in the Seattle area now, so it made sense that it was pretty (accurately) specific. Those little details always make me know that either that author did a lot of good research or they've lived around here. Add to that the fact that Georgina works in a bookstore, and you've got me hooked.

I like the introduction of a succubus into the lore of the supernatural, which is happening more and more these days but still felt fresh in Mead's take. The plotline was a bit predictable; obviously Roman was the bad guy. If there's somebody who shows up in the story and has no discernible reason for being there and doesn't seem to have any connection to the story, he's probably going to be the antagonist. But I didn't mind that predictability so much because everything else—the characters, the relationships, the setup for the rest of the series—was on point.

I love Georgina. I love her sense of humor, I love her moral dilemmas (being a succubus but also trying to be a good person and not send too many souls Hell's way), I love her love of books, I love her friendships. I found the relationships between the different kinds of supernatural beings very interesting, especially the dynamic between Georgina and Carter, Seattle's resident angel. Carter was a fascinating character to me, in general, and I think more so because we don't know a whole lot about him. I actually wanted Georgina to get with Carter a bit as the series went on, and I have to say that I was actually a bit disappointed by the outcome.

I liked this enough to go and read the remaining five books in the series, more because they were like candy than anything too rich or dense. (Blog post on the remainder of the books will be forthcoming. Although up front I'll say, the first three or four books were fantastic, but the last two were a bit disappointing...) I figured I could finish the series since it only takes me a few hours to finish a book like this.
The ladies got SOOOO off track in the VF Hangout this month, but I almost enjoy that more than when they stay the course. Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts